Last Updated on
Michael James Scott Biography
Michael James Scott is an American singer and actor, known for his work on the Broadway stage. He is most better known for playing the lead role of the Genie in Disney’s musical production of Aladdin in the Original Australian Cast and also in the West End, U.S. National Tour and Broadway productions.
Michael James Scott Age
Michael James Scott was born on May 24, 1981 in Baltimore, MD United States. He is 38 years old as of 2019.
Michael James Scott Early Life
Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Scott is the son of Michael and Karen Scott. He went to Rock Springs Elementary school in Apopka, Florida then Robinswood and Gotha Middle School. In high school, Scott attended the Dr. Phillips High School Visual and Performing Arts Program. He worked as a child actor doing commercials, TV shows, musicals and performed live singing in concerts all around the Central Florida area.
Scott’s training extends back to the prestigious Broadway Theatre Project started by the legendary Ann Reinking. He attended as an apprentice for 4 years and two of those years as an assistant. It was at this training program where he trained with some of the greats like Gwen Verdon, Julie Andrews, Gregory Hines, Phylicia Rashad, Ben Vereen, James Naughton, Roy Scheider, Savion Glover and Joan Lader to name a few.
Michael James Scott Career
After an early career as a child actor, as a young adult Scott underwent a string of TV work, theatre shows and singing engagements, before getting his higher education BFA degree attending The Conservatory of Theatre Arts program at Webster University in St. Louis, MO. While in college, Scott went on to be the standby for the legendary Ben Vereen on the international tour of Fosse from 2003 to 2004.
Michael James Scott Photo
Scott then joined the 1st National US tour of Mamma Mia! from 2004 to 2005. He made his Broadway debut in 2005 in the musical All Shook Up. Scott appeared off-Broadway together with Donna McKechnie in Here’s to the Public. After a short stint in 2006 in Disney’s Tarzan on Broadway, he reprised his Mamma Mia! role of Eddie in the Broadway production. He was in the 2007 original Broadway company for Boublil and Schönberg’s new musical The Pirate Queen.
Scott was a part of the 2008 concert cast of Jerry Springer: The Opera at Carnegie Hall and very shortly afterwards went on to originate Barry Nelson in the Las Vegas production of Jersey Boys. He returned to Broadway in 2009 in a revival of Hair, continuing on to the West End production the following year, for which he was also associate choreographer. At the end of that year, he returned to Broadway in the original cast of Elf, until it closed in 2011.
Scott then played Dr. Gostwana in the original Broadway company of The Book of Mormon. During his time in Book of Mormon, Scott took a short break to play Donkey in Shrek the Musical at the prestigious MUNY of St. Louis before finally leaving Mormon in 2013. He joined the original Broadway company of Disney’s Aladdin musical as the Genie standby. He left in 2015, to originate the Minstrel in Something Rotten! on Broadway.
Scott originated the role of Genie in the Australian production of Disney’s musical Aladdin, which opened in Sydney in August 2016, before leaving the company in December 2017 to join the national tour of Aladdin. Scott received a Helpmann Award in 2017 for Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical for his work in the Australian Production. He is a member of the critically acclaimed group The Broadway Boys and Grammy nominated Broadway Inspirational Voices. Scott continues to sing at concerts, special events and benefits around the country.
Michael James Scott Theater Credits
- Ragtime, North Carolina Theatre
- Cinderella, The Muny
- South Pacific, The Muny
- Fosse, standby for Ben Vereen, Tour, 2001–02
- Mamma Mia!, Eddie, Tour, 2003–04
- All Shook Up, Ensemble, Broadway, 2005
- Here’s to the Public!, off-Broadway, 2005
- Tarzan, Swing, Broadway, 2006
- Aida, Mereb, The Muny, 2006
- Mamma Mia!, Eddie (replacement), Broadway, 2006–07
- The Pirate Queen, Ensemble, Broadway, 2007
- Jersey Boys, Ensemble/Barry Belson (u/s), Las Vegas, 2008
- Jerry Springer: The Opera, Carnegie Hall, 2008
- Hair, Swing/Margaret Mead (u/s)/Hud (u/s), Broadway, 2009
- Hair, associate choreographer/Hud (u/s)/Tribe Member, West End, 2010
- Elf, Ensemble/Macy’s Manager (u/s), Broadway, 2010–11
- The Book of Mormon, Dr. Gostwana, Broadway, 2011–12
- Here’s to Joe, off-Broadway, 2013
- Shrek, Donkey, regional, 2013
- Aladdin, Genie standby/Babkak standby, Broadway, 2014–15
- Something Rotten!, Minstrel, Broadway, 2015-16
- Aladdin, Genie, Australian Tour, 2016–2017
- Aladdin, Genie, North American Tour, Jan-Aug 2018
- Aladdin, Genie, West End, Aug 2018-Feb 2019
- Aladdin, Genie, Broadway, Feb-Sept 2019